In response to WP Weekly Photo Challenge: Story.

Let us go then, you and I,
When the evening is spread out against the sky
Like a patient etherised upon a table.
—T. S. Eliot

So what’s the story here? I don’t know about the story in the above poem, except that the poet was crazy, as poets are prone to be, which is my professional opinion of a doctor of literature. I picked the poem as an epigraph because I really like the comparison of the sky to the operating table. So cute. And as sterile as the airport corridors in the below photo. I don’t know about the story of the photo either, but come on, there must be a plenty of stories in there! It’s an airport for fuck’s sake. There are always stories where there are people.

18-03-07-story.jpeg

What I do know is my story at this airport. It was the first of the gazillion circles of hell, as not imagined even by Dante, who had no imagination, which was my recent business trip. Everything that could possibly go wrong duly did, and my boss, who is a pathological optimist and liar, kept on saying We’re on a pleasure trip, it’s an adventure! First, a business trip is not a pleasure trip. Second, you only call a fuckup an adventure when you’re talking to a child whom you’re saving from a disaster and whom you don’t want to frighten. And why, yes, I’m a pathological negativist.

1. Apparently your boss and you may be a good match as opposites sometimes attract. 😎❤️

Liked by 2 people

1. Yes, I think so, we’re the very opposites of each other!

2. I find travel a necessary means to an end and I dread getting to the book in and discovering they have no record of me…..so anything going wrong for me is a disaster in itself.
    So I take it the trip was terrible, what about London? Did you see the Queen, rub shoulders with Royalty, see the ravens in the Tower of London?

1. It’s curious you don’t like travelling, most people are just so excited about it and it bugs me that I don’t know why. What’s so exciting about lugging about, dragging heavy luggage in tow and waiting for hours for the next connection or the next security check…

I was actually a bit off London, so I saw none of those sights. I’ve been to London before, though, and I must sadly admit that I remained hugely unimpressed. Oops.

1. Well there goes your chances of a knighthood, just think Dame Mara does have a ring to it.

1. Ha, it’s ok, I’ll pass. I don’t like the British so much now they decided they were better than the rest of Europe and brexited.

1. I think they will regret that decision as time goes by.

3. Your boss sounds like a nice man, trying to soothe the frazzled nerves of a pathological negativist 🙂 That airport looks invitingly serene and soothing, maybe even a little sterile 🙂 🙂 🙂

1. My boss (female) is nice enough and surely well-meaning, but it’s hard to work with her since I’m her very opposite. The airport wasn’t that bad, there are worse places for sure! This one was in Munich.

1. Oooops – shouldn’t assume! Opposites sometimes work out well, sometimes not. That airport looks very quiet for a pace like Munich.

1. I flew at a dead hour, it seems, the airport was quiet on my way to Britain, but busy on my way back.

4. I didn’t see the part where they all live happily ever after….

1. Oh wait! That ever happens?

1. I’ve read about it….

5. Love your sardonic humor, Mara. It challenges me to see the world through your eyes. That poem is absolutely crazy. 🙂

1. Aw, thank you so much for your kind words! The poem is very curious, I hated it at first but then somehow came to like its quirkiness.

6. […] A Wandering Memory Albatz Travel AdventuresMy Dad’s Stories: A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words Weekly Photo Challenge: Story – Mara Eastern This and ThatWPC: Story Twenty FourWPC – story MythRiderWeekly Photo Challenge: Story […]

7. This is a very interesting conversation. I am starting to see that words have energy that needs to be released (through reading), and I suppose who has time to read them all.

1. I like the idea of releasing words through reading them. Hmm.

8. More garbage for Mara.

1. I am a huge fan of garbage, actually.

9. I can see the smoking place in the picture 🙂

1. I love your comment ❤ Because, exactly! It was a wonderful place, excellent ventilation, nicely furnished, didn’t treat smokers like criminals…

10. I like what you did with that photo, making it so light it almost floats off the page.

Okay, the screen.

1. Oh, thank you for approving! I got lucky with my filter of choice as I was randomly slapping one on the photo…

11. For those who work in the LR it will be useful to also read this article http://weedit.photos/2017/using-lightroom-6-how-to-add-presets-to-lightroom/ Good luck!