In response to WP Weekly Photo Challenge: A Face in the Crowd.

The apparition of these faces in the crowd:
Petals on a wet, black bough.
—Ezra Pound

18-02-21-face1

1. Are you at a Pub here? 🤔

1. A pub as in a public place 😉 ? Yes, I was out among the crowd!

1. Awesome! Pub and Bar are interchangeable to me… But I wasn’t invited! ❤️😬

1. Oh no worries, you missed nothing!

2. The small person on the left below the light looks like an alien visitor….then again you do have a lot of ‘fans’.

1. Exactly! The boy in the circle of spotlight struck me as an alien the moment I saw him. I’m glad I’m not the only one seeing things.

1. It could be a matter of great minds too…or idle minds if you like.

1. I’d prefer great minds!

1. Yeah works for me. Have a good day.😁

3. Gorgeous quotation and love the ethereal image- fantastic post.

1. Awe, thank you! It is ethereal, it was an ethereal occasion: a foggy night and artificial lights, it always looks atmospheric and a bit creepy.

1. Creepy is my favourite feeling.

😉

4. What the Toad said!! Have to ask: where was the shot taken.

1. It was a lucky shot which I took before the New Year’s fireworks started: people gathered at the local football field to watch, but it was very foggy, so we hardly saw anything. At least I got this photo though!

1. Definite bonus! I’m trying to imagine fireworks in fog. Did it affect the sound too? 🙂

1. Oh yes, the sound was amplified, it was deafening. The fireworks were just flashes of colourful lights, and gave me epileptic seizures, though I’m not epileptic. Lesson learned: fireworks don’t work in fog.

1. I’ll remember that. Not that we get much fog. And our firework events all tend to happen in summer.

2. That’s true. And funny. We only have fireworks on New Year’s Eve, and that’s it.

3. In NZ, it’s legal to buy fireworks in the three days leading up to November 5th — Guy Fawkes Day. There is no limit on how many you can buy, so people hoard them, and let them off at New Year, on birthdays, random Saturday nights when they’re drunk, etc. The public displays are at Guy Fawkes, New Year, Chinese New Year and our Anniversary Day in January. I think we may be the only country outside the UK that actually celebrates a terrorist plot to blow up Westminster. Not that most people here actually know that — unless they’ve been watching Netflix.

4. Wow, that’s complicated! I had no idea! Here, you can buy anything anytime, fireworks, smokes, alcohol. Not firearms though. That’s regulated. (Supposed to be regulated, that is.)

I find it funny that in some countries, you can’t buy alcohol in the morning. It must be so much bother to cover the booze shelves for half a day and then uncover them when it’s late enough.

I’m aware of Guy Fawkes Day, it’s a curious celebration!

5. In NZ, when my parents first moved here in the late 1960s, you could only buy booze either in pubs (which closed at 6pm — SERIOUSLY) or in the off-license shops attached to pubs (which I guess also closed at 6). It was only in the 1990s that supermarkets started to sell wine and beer and they still can’t sell spirits. I remember when we moved to the UK, they used to cover up the booze in supermarkets on Sundays.
            🙂

6. Wow, that’s quite a horror story! This kind of restrictions has the opposite effect on me. I would want to buy vodka in the morning only because I know I can’t. Here, I can, and it never occurred to me to do it.

7. 🙂 I totally get that.

5. Looks eerie……

1. I think creepy is the word!

1. Perhaps both – creepily eerie 🙂

6. […] Weekly Photo Challenge: A Face in the Crowd – Mara Eastern […]

7. Ken Harrison 23/02/2018 at 1:40 am

Love the colors, ligbting and overall composition. Great shot.

1. Aw, thank you very much! It was a lucky shot, a shame it’s so grainy, given it was taken in poor light conditions with just a phone.

1. Ken Harrison 24/02/2018 at 2:08 pm

I think the graininess adds to the mood.

1. That’s a kind way to look at it!

8. Does this imply that you recognize someone in there?

1. Oh no, I don’t imply anything, that would be too smart…