I’ve been fascinated with the relatively recent feature of the WordPress Reader: the Suggestions that show at the top, just above the feed. What’s so curious about them is:

1. I often have no idea what the suggested keywords mean. Homesteading? Sous vide? Come on, don’t swear at me! Don’t tell me what that is though, I already Googled and confirmed that I’m highly uninterested in these subjects.
  2.  The suggestions are extremely random. I would’ve thought that as all other advertising (which is what suggested content really means), the keywords would be personalised. I don’t think they are, otherwise I couldn’t have been offered Homeschooling, Politics and Toddlers, all of which I intensely don’t care about.
  3. The whole thing is so hilarious! I waste time taking the three words suggested and using them in a poem or something. Like the thing below, which incorporates my latest incongruous suggestions of Beautyyoga and Batman.
Untitled picture

In the position
   of a tree

Doing yoga
Flying—
Like a fucking
Batman

1. I must be blind 😦 I’ve never noticed the Suggestions thingy – until now! What great prompts for random bits of inspiration – or not….

1. I’ve not either. We can’t both be blind…….Mara must be seeing things!

1. I didn’t want to say that, but now that you mention it …..

1. Are you saying I’m hallucinating? Whoa, I should probably slow down on the pills… Kidding!

2. I swear I wasn’t drunk when writing this post. Or was I?

2. See! We learn every day 🙂 I think it’s a good idea, though it’s a shame that the suggestions are not more relevant to my interests.

1. I will be keeping an eagle eye out for them in future!

1. You never know what you’ll discover!

2. Nice rift on the reader.

1. Thank you, I’m glad you approve 🙂

3. Love it! I’ll have to try it some time…

1. Do try it, it’s huge fun! You never know which words you’re going to get 🙂

4. I really admire the way you write your poetry: cynically, sarcastically and in an irrreverant unpretentious spirit of self-deprecation and throwaway manner, as if each piece were a mere snot rag. But your work is tightening up exquisitely around your ironic ‘core values’ and producing a thing of true beauty. This piece is the best yet. I would happily include it in an anthology.

1. Wow. I don’t know what you say. Your words are beautiful, a shame I’m not really worth the praise. I want this as my testimonial though. Or maybe as a tombstone verse.

5. So if you pulled a poem out of that, everything’s for the best in this best of all possible worlds.

1. Aw, that’s well said! I’m disturbed enough to pull a poem out of the weirdest things. The next thing I’ll know I’ll pull one out of my ass.

1. Just found your reply: I’m sure you’ll feel better once you’ve gotten it out of there.

1. Yeah. It’s a relief 😀

6. […] and finding a note from Ellen, who expressed a mild interest in my curious capability of pulling a poem out of three random words. On this note I noted that the next thing I know, I’ll be pulling a poem out of my […]

7. I love this! Both the prompt and the poem. I will certainly be using those suggestions in future writings. The end of the poem is pure gold.

1. Thank you for your lovely comment! These prompts really inspired me, though in another way than in which they were meant. It’s fun to experiment!

8. Reblogged this on SEO.