In response to WP Weekly Photo Challenge: Meaningful.

This year’s last photo challenge is supposed to be meaningful. I actually read the instructions in the post, because that’s what I do, and the idea is to post a photo that is meaningful.

That is an impossible task because nothing is inherently meaningful. Things are only endowed with such meanings as we ascribe them. On the same subversive note, here’s a crappy photo which I subjected to filter torture. It was crappy before and it’s still crappy.

What’s meaningful about it is that it’s the first photo I took this year with my DSLR. It was on my birthday, coincidentally. Which might add an extra layer of meaning for some, though I consider birthdays a threatening occasion which only serves to remind us of our mortality.

My argument is, is there meaning to anything when we’re going to die anyway? Sorry, I digressed into meaninglessness. I think it’s called nihilism in philosophy and depression in psychiatry.

17-12-20-meaningful

1. well, see? This entire post as meaningful to me. I googled the urban dictionary for nihilism ( I wanted meaning, right??) and that led me to Friedrich Nietszche, who was not a nihilist but made nihilism famous. Whew! Who knew?

1. Oh dear, my post sent you on an educative journey in the depths of internet! I should probably apologise for this errand you had to make. However, the idea of using Urban Dictionary as a reference point is awesomely hilarious ๐Ÿ˜€

2. That greenery is not nihilistic or you would have posted in black & white. Happy holidays, Mara. May your choices bring you light! ๐Ÿ™‚

1. Ha! You got me. I tried black and white, but the photo looked even crappier in monochrome. It’s a snap beyond saving. Thank you for your wonderful wish. The same to you!

3. Some deep thoughts Mara. My birthday is tomorrow and itโ€™s not a happy thing, that was decades ago. I hope you have a great Christmas and new year too. Your photo isnโ€™t a bad one. The deep green is intense but Iโ€™m also very colour blind. ๐Ÿ˜ฌ๐Ÿคช

1. I hope you survived your birthday just fine, it’s a day like any other! I’m not sure if a happy birthday is appropriate or rather not? Anyway, have a happy day!

1. It was the usual thing – hanging around with me, myself and I with a few cold ones later in the day… Frankly Mara, I’ll be glad when this holiday is done. It’s depressing for so many folks…

1. I’ll be super glad when the holiday is over. I’m not coping with is well this year. Let’s just have everything return to normal!

1. I totally agree Mara. The traffic is back full strength. The city is alive. You know what really grinds my gears are all the stupid TV commercials trying to sell you a car or truck for the holiday. That’s just dumb as are the never ending drug company commercials!

2. Good I don’t have a TV. And good the holiday is nearly over and done with! Wish you a peaceful new year!

3. there’s nothing wrong with a TV in a home. I too am glad the holidays are nearly done.

4. Gone and done with, yay!

4. Meaningful post about being meaningful. This might also sound morbid, but everything morbid can fade away over time and what’s left is emptiness. Many meaningful lies from moment to moment…it always ends up crashing and burning and fading away ๐Ÿ˜€ Another year gone, another year up ahead. Some have come, some have gone. That’s the way it goes.

1. I’d rather say it’s a meaningless post about meaninglessness ๐Ÿ˜‰ Just an exercise in free writing really.

However, I’m very happy that it somehow managed to resonate with you and inspire you to this lovely comment, which provides more food for thought than my original post.

5. Sending Christmas hugs. You can never have too many ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

1. Aw,thank you! And the same to you, both from me and the cat!

6. Here are some facts:
    – you write like a pro
    – you have followers who love what you do
    – you capture the world around you with your photography, and you tell stories through them
    – you are witty, authentic and brave for sharing your fears, thoughts, opinions and beliefs
    Sorry, nihilism and depression, Mara is winning.

Wishing you a lovely holiday season. Hugs from Amsterdam.

1. Aww, it doesn’t happen often, but you got me, and I have no smartass response to your arguments. You have a point. Thank you for your words. You’re my kindest critic. And, of course, have a fun and zen holiday!

1. Wow, thatโ€™s good to hear!
        Iโ€™m not known for being a kind critic anyways, but a rational and fair one.
        Lots of love.

1. LOL (lots of love) back at you ๐Ÿ˜‰

1. Love it! LOL back at you too!

7. […] Writer & TeacherPhoto Challenge: 2017 Favorites WPC: 2017 Favorites โ€“ Christine’s Blog Weekly Photo Challenge: Meaningful? โ€“ Mara Eastern Dr D in OzShock and awe on Venice Beach Kunstkitchen’s BlogWeekly photo Challenge = Favorite […]