You’re my last resort. I don’t know if I should buy a sofa or not. I’ve been trying to decide for months. Please advise.

Pros: a sofa!

Cons: costs money.

Also, I’m totally serious. I shall either purchase or abstain from purchasing a piece of furniture based on advice from my readers. And why, yes, I see my therapist regularly and take my pills. They haven’t invented pills for decision paralysis yet though.

Here’s the sofa.

Here’s the poll.

Vote responsibly. You can make my home a better place. Or you can save my bank account from getting a blow in the face. Thank you!

1. I’ve always enjoyed having a good sofa. Our dogs and (when I was a child) cats always enjoyed them, too. Put in a lot of extra time relaxing with one or more of the pets on my lap or on the seat beside me.

1. I didn’t use to have a sofa for many years because I always lived in small flats. Now I have some space for a small sofa, so I’m thinking of getting my cat a really expensive cat bed ๐Ÿ˜‰

Liked by 3 people

2. It’s a must-have piece in my bachelor pad Mara. I still sleep on a blow-up mattress as it’s just so comfortable, no sense in buying a bed frame as this apartment is temporary but a good couch (sofa) is a needful thing!

1. Oh dear, a blow-up mattress? Sounds terrible! How’s your back? I don’t really lounge around reading or watching TV or something, so I don’t necessarily need a sofa – but I fancy one!

1. Go for the sofa. That blow up bed is incredibly comfortable which is why I’ve not swapped it out for a regular bed.

My apartment life after the big D is a transient one, hence I’m OK for now sleeping on air.

1. I think I will take your advice, though I’m getting contradictory advice, so it’s still hard! First world problems.

1. Write this down on a sheet of paper. Have a Pro’s and Con’s column. Sit in a quiet place and really consider the positives and negatives of each decision. Hope this helps?

2. Ha! That’s a pretty obvious and pretty sensible suggestion that didn’t occur to me because I’m not sensible, apparently. Will do!

3. Yes! Buy the sofa. There are all sorts of pieces of furniture we can manage without but a sofa is not one of them.

1. Thank you for voting! Decisions are sometimes so hard for me. So I thought I’d abuse my poor readers by asking for help, the clueless person that I am.

4. I would not survive without my couch! I love it. I rarely sit anywhere else in my house, except my desk chair.

1. I’m a survivor, I could easily live on without a couch forever (well, until I die anyway), but I fancy getting one. Could be a nice option to have.

1. I mentioned my couch a few times in my latest post – just for you!

1. I’ll need to check out your couch post asap! So hard to keep up with everything sometimes…

5. If you long for a sofa which offers a bit of comfort, donยดt buy this one. I owned one (actually two) but it didnยดt supply the comfort it promised. My neck and back took severe damage from trying to comfortably watch tv in this sofa, and I have regretted it even after it was taken to the recycling place more than 18 years ago…so sorry, but for comfort, please choose a different sofa….ps. It was also partially responsible for a broken friendship, so take my advice, please!

Liked by 2 people

1. Oh no, it’s a friendship-breaking sofa?! I should seriously reconsider. Thanks for helping me, I’m so clueless sometimes (most of the time). I hope your current sofa is better than the old one. And doesn’t break either your back or your friendships.

6. Well, I have never had one and never actually needed one either. If you want to buy one, then something else besides that one. It doesn’t look very comfy either. I would buy something softer looking.

1. Thank you for voting and helping me break the decision paralysis ๐Ÿ™‚ This particular sofa does look pretty strict and sober, but I actually like it that way. So the jury is still out on this one!

7. My only advice is to buy a sofa you know you can nap on. The main selling point for sofa I buy!!!

1. Ha, thank you, Michael, for the info on sofa science! I know nothing about the subject, so I’m struggling.

1. That was the voice of experience Mara, I’ve been around long enough to know of such things..

8. If you don’t have a sofa, then you should buy one. The one you showed looks very uncomfortable. Get a long one so you can lie down on it, lounge on it, and sink into it. Make sure it’s comfortable, too. Very important.

1. Thank you for tuning in to help me out! You’re right, it’s probably all about comfort when it comes to sofas. On the other hand, I really like the hard and sober look of this one. So hard to choose!

1. Lizl's Quiet Spaces Journal 14/09/2017 at 4:45 pm

There is a question, then, of whether you actually want to use the sofa, or just sit across the room and look at it occasionally.

1. Now you got me, I probably just want to look at it ๐Ÿ˜€

2. Choose soft and comfortable. And long.

9. If you’ve been wanting it for this long… you want it, sincerely. Get it, and the agony will be over! Your bank account will recover.

1. Aw, thank you for the great point! Yep, I probably want it when I’ve been thinking of getting it for so long! So obvious. One needs to be told the obvious sometimes ๐Ÿ™‚

10. Used to have that one. No, not comfortable! If you’re buying a couch for the heck of it, get a sofa bed instead. You can convert it to a bed (extra for you) or for a friend needing a place to crash.

1. Oh you used to have this one? Then thank you even more for the first-hand intel! A sofa bed didn’t occur to me, so I’ll certainly look around to see what the options are. So great to get some advice ๐Ÿ™‚

1. Yes, I used to have one! That sofa has very thin cushioning and it may have lasted longer but when my kids started jumping on it (I know, don’t judge me), it bore the biggest hole ever! Broke some wood, I think ๐Ÿ˜ฌ

1. Ah, I see, it does look it has thin cushioning. Kids will be kids (in my case, cats will be cats), so no judging ๐Ÿ™‚

1. Agreed! ๐Ÿ˜‹

11. I don’t particularly like the looks of this one. Based on the comments, I don’t think you should buy this one, Mara. I have a big cushy sofa that I just love. It is slip-covered (but I never take them off), looks good and is so comfortable, to boot. BTW, I love the word ‘sofa.’ ‘Couch’…not so much.

1. The word sofa sounds much better than couch, you’re right. Couch is like a sports couch, and a sofa is so not about sports!

The look of this particular sofa is pretty forbidding, but that’s what I like about it really. So I don’t know. I’ll see what the results of the survey will tell me!

Thank you for helping me with my decision paralysis, so nice to get some advice!

12. I agree with the aboves – that one looks very uncomfortable. It should be one that you can sink into with an ‘aaah….’ and bliss out. Soft, wide and long enough for you and Ella (of course that will depend on her willingness to share once she discovers the comfort. But as she already shares the bed with you it should not pose a problem). Also with a high enough back to support the head, neck and shoulders. If you want an added luxury you could one that has a recliner option so you can put your feet up. It is essential to try it out before you buy. I know! It means venturing out into the big wide world of sofas. But believe me, you may well regret not doing that extra yard of research before committing to what should be years of comfort. We have been looking for some time. Road tested many in the shops. I want an extra wide reclining armchair that I can sink into and have a snooze…. with my feet up when they decide to swell in the hot summers.

1. Oh dear, a sofa in that you sink in? Nooo… I’m scared of this kind, I always fear I’ll get lost inside, so I sit just on the edge with my back straight. I prefer to sit straight really.

Thank you for all the thoughts, I certainly got some inspiration and advice here. I’m not sure if I didn’t get even more confused though. On the other hand, I’ll take your advice and will go to see it and try it before I buy it, that only makes sense!

Liked by 2 people

13. Dear Mara, i landed here via Amsterdam. I made a quick stop off at Lucille’s blog, then clicked my way over to your home, wherever in the world it is. I’m pretty exhausted from such extensive travelling, and I never did get to see Lucille’s famous red bridge, so I’m really in need of a cuppa on a good comfy sofa. So I’ve voted already: I voted YES! ๐Ÿ™‚

1. Hello, Debbie, and welcome, such a pleasure to have you! Thank you for your lovely and fun comment, yes, a sofa certainly comes in handy to travellers! But maybe even to homebodies like me. Lucile’s bridge is classic. So pretty, isn’t it?

14. Buying a sofa means you are settling good and we’ll in your comfy home. You need to choose one carefully so that it fits its surroundings and your need for absolute comfyness.
    I believe however that this sofa in particular (for what I guess by seeing the pictures) might not comply with this basic rule and you might find yourself having depleted you bank account for the lack of comfyness thereof.
    Hence my answer as a “no!”.
    Hope that helps!
    Otherwise, convince me of your being comfy in this new piece of furniture! ๐Ÿ˜‰

1. Thank you for voting and helping me get over this decision paralysis thing! It’s great to get other people’s opinions and advice when you’re stuck. You’re right, the sofa I picked doesn’t look too comfy, I like the design though. It’s hard to factor in all the things, like size, cost, whether or not the shop can deliver and assemble the item for me…

And as you, picking a sofa means one is getting comfortable at one’s home.

15. A sofa is a great investment in comfort and style. Go for it.

1. Thank you for voting, it’s so great to get other people’s opinion! Very helpful when one can’t decide. The jury is still out on this one but we’ll see!

16. Oh dear! Is your bank account in the red now? ๐Ÿ˜ฆ

1. Not yet, but if I’m not careful, I’ll get down there ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

17. I voted yes but I want to withdraw my vote, if is not comfortable.

1. Thank you for voting! How desperate am I when I ask people to vote on how to furnish my flat ๐Ÿ˜‰ But then, it’s fun!

1. Yes, since many of you suggested I should treat myself, I should be getting my new sofa next week…