Part of WordPress’s writing course Finding Everyday Inspiration.

Today’s challenging challenge is to describe what you’re doing when you’re not writing. I’m not sure I understand the question. It’s like asking me, the workaholic that I am, what I’m doing when I’m not working. If I’m not working, I’m busy feeling guilty that I’m not working. I’m not sure what there’s to describe about feeling guilty.

There are some additional prompts to the task though. Here are the extra questions, along with my answers: What do you do when you’re not writing? What do you need in your day-to-day life to maintain balance: Running? (No way!) Yoga? (Yes.) Gardening? (I don’t meet the having-a-garden prerequisite.) Painting? (Once a year. Poorly.) Cooking? (Hell no!)

Someone’s been writing here

When I’m not writing, I’m writing.

I write shopping lists. Frozen veggies, soy bites, tofu steak, soy milk, pineapple juice, coffee, coffee yogurt drink, crisp bread, seasoned meat, cat food, Oreos. Above all, Oreos. Also, a standing order for any amount of tissues for my all-year-round allergies.

I write to-do-lists. File my bloody nails already. Take the bloody bin out for the dustmen to collect. Brush the bloody cat’s coat finally. I fiercely hate my to-do-lists. I habitually fail to do them, so I keep writing and rewriting them. Sometimes I freak out and throw them out.

I write emails. Replying to requests. Sending price quotes. Delivering completed orders. Penning polite payment reminders. Worrying that I won’t get paid. Worrying that I’ll type the Facebook message meant for my mother in the body of the email instead. Worrying that I forgot to attach the attachment. Worrying that I sent the wrong attachment. Worrying in general in case something goes wrong.

When I’m not writing, I’m worrying.

1. Love this.

Thanks,

Margo Johnson

margoj325@outlook.com

https://margosviews.wordpress.com (blog)

________________________________

1. Thank you, I’m glad you don’t hate this! Thanks for stopping by 🙂

2. I’m exhausted just reading this. Gotta go lie down now…

1. Haha, that wasn’t the intended effect but I can see how this post made you exhausted! Sorry, I’ll try not to do it again!

1. No need to apologise ! Truly ruly 🙂 Do what you do because you do it so well …

1. Thank you then for bearing with me! You’re the best 😀

1. I like your style, madam Mara 🙂

2. Aww, thank you! bows awkwardly

3. I agree with Soul Gifts … 🙂

1. Please take a nap for me!

4. I’ve started writing on some new lyrics for a song lately. Haven’t done that in years, so I’m out of the game. Takes forever.

1. Everything lasts much longer than we anticipated. Except orgasm.

1. Haha, they are quick (but fucking good). Just for fun I wanted to check how long I could go without one: 10 days.

1. Haha, I beat you to that but I’m not bragging really.

5. Shopping lists, to do lists. When you’re not writing, your still writing. Interesting. Write on! Cheers

1. Thank you for your encouraging comment! I’ll do my best 🙂

6. You’ve reminded me once again, how happy I was to retire. First 20-some years of freelance work were fun, but I started to run out of steam after a while. Worrying about getting paid…NOT getting paid on time. ::sigh::

1. I see! Freelancing has its perks – like working from home – but also its disadvantages, such as the uncertainty of everything.

1. Lizl's Quiet Spaces Journal 01/09/2017 at 4:09 am

I had also noticed as the years progressed that overall, the quality of academic writing declined, and clients did not tend to learn from their mistakes, but made the same ones repeatedly. I was in the main an academic style editor, but also gave feedback on substantive aspects of research and did some ESL editing on master’s and doctoral papers. (Writing/editing résumés and bibliographies was much more fun!)

1. Oh, there was a time when writers learned from their mistakes? I never experienced that. Well, almost never, with my students, whom I taught academic writing, perhaps one per semester; and with those writers already holding academic positions, no one. Bibliographies are my favourite genre!

7. When your not writing you worrying. WHOA LOVE THAT