Engraved with the sharpness of surgical steel

Engraved with the sharpness of surgical steel

I take my own posts as prompts: when I blogged about chronic pain, I went to see the doctor the next day; when I blogged about tattoo ideas, I made an appointment at a tattoo studio immediately. While the results of my doctors’ appointments are still being determined, the outcome of my other appointment is now finished—see picture above.

Quick answers to the obvious questions:

1. Yes, it’s permanent.
  2. No, it didn’t hurt.
  3. It’s a cat-shaped semicolon enclosed in CSS curly brackets.

As to long answers, I wanted a tattoo as part of my dealing with my midlife crisis. I borrowed the catty semicolon idea from the internet (I didn’t suspect I’d actually get it when I was saving it on Pinterest) and I added the brackets as my own idea. I didn’t intend to share my design, however primitive, but I’m too pleased with myself not to share it (insert smug emoticon here).

The tattooing part lasted under ten minutes and hurt less than having blood taken for lab tests. I got it with an extra bonus of glamour feel – it felt superstar-ish to sit with a strong halogen light in your face and the air from a fan in your hair. Of course, in combination with the slacks and the lace top in the picture, it doesn’t look too badass. I guess I need more leather. And more tattoos.

1. I have a cross tattoo on my arm. It hurt. Yours had to hurt! 😘

1. I swear it didn’t. I was probably high on adrenaline. It took just a moment and it’s on a fleshy part of the body, so that probably explains it.

1. Interesting design, I’ll bet you will get lots of inquiry.

1. I was trying to be original with my “design”. It’s just a simple thing but it’s meaningful to me and it was a nice gift to myself from myself 😉

1. Each tattoo has a special/specific meaning for it’s owner. I’ve never seen one like yours. My Cross is on my upper arm so it can be concealed or shown.

2. The upper arm is a sensible choice. I’m cold even in hot weather, so I can easily wear long sleeves in any temperature to cover the tattoo if undesirable – but I don’t expect to ever move in environments where it would be a problem. I’m not likely to become a kindergarten teacher.

2. I have 3 small wrist tats, none of them hurt too bad at all. Wait until you get a big one on your spine that takes a couple hours — you’ll change your mind soon enough 😉 hehe

1. Exactly what I imagine! I’m sure a larger tattoo on a place near the bone hurts much, much more. I deliberately went for small and on a soft part of the body to start with, but I don’t think I’m done yet.

1. Thank you! I’m glad I finally executed what I had planned forever 🙂

3. I am told that one cat tat can lead to another…I’ll be looking to see where and when the next one features..its good you are happy with the end result, and I must say it does look rather neat.. 🙂

1. Haha, yes, I hear that this kind of things may get addictive. I’m indeed plotting the next tattoo, but I’ll give it some time fo the idea to crystallise. For now, I’m perfectly happy tattoo-wise.

4. It looks very cool, and so unique! I actually like it. Never thought I’d say that about a tattoo.

1. Awe, thank you! It turned out to my satisfaction, and I’m really glad I did it. I’m also pleased that I came up with a design idea that no one else has on their skin, unless by chance. So I can kid myself I’m original 😉

1. In this case … I actually DO think you’ve managed to come up with something entirely unique. That in itself is unique 🙂

1. I’m flattered that you think so 🙂

5. Wow, that’s really cool. Very original.
    I thought it was just some inkling – for some reasons, I couldn’t picture you going to a tattoo parlour!
    Are you planning to get more done?

1. Thank you 🙂 ! I couldn’t picture myself going to a tattoo parlour either, so I did it to see what happens – well, now I know and I’m good. I’m likely to repeat my visit sooner or later, as I had such a great first experience.

6. Lol – before we know it, you’ll be covered in unique designs that are uniquely Mara !! Good for you 🙂

1. Haha, it might just as well be the case, we’ll see! I don’t plan anything for the nearest future, but I’ll of course keep you posted 🙂

7. Yes! Congrats on your fist tattoo! I’m glad you didn’t get a tramp-stamp. 😀

1. Thanks! The tramp stamp wasn’t under consideration as I wanted something that I could look at and admire. Despite all the yoga I do, I still can’t comfortably look at and admire my back.

1. Awe ❤ Glad you approve!

8. […] Remember how I reported a year and half ago that I was starting to learn <HTML>? Neither do I. But I found the post for you: it was a What-I-Hated-the-Least-Today number 44. Half a year after this, I decided that my immersion into coding was permanent and sealed the deal with a {CSS} tattoo. It was a Hate-the-Least number 203. […]

9. […] Half a year after this, I decided that my immersion into coding was permanent and sealed the deal with a {CSS} tattoo. It was a Hate-the-Least number 203. […]