I probably can't sit either

I probably can’t sit either

I can’t stand. No, seriously, I can’t stand properly. I suspect all of my body alignment is all messed up. I wouldn’t have noticed, had I not started to practise yoga. And then I wouldn’t have noticed, had I not occasionally made a video of my workout in order to check to what extent I’m doing it wrong.

I’ve come to suspect that I’m doing it all wrong, even those poses that look right at the first sight. That wouldn’t be much of a problem, except by doing it wrong, I’m likely crippling myself. That wouldn’t be much of a problem either, except I’m pretty much in permanent pain now.

Especially my knees don’t like my daily yoga. My shoulders, arms and neck aren’t too excited either. Perversely, it doesn’t hurt when I exercise, it hurts most when I do nothing. Like when I stand. Standing has become quite an ordeal. I focused on checking my alignment when I stand and found that I tilt weirdly forwards, probably putting undue pressure on the knees.

Now, the obvious solution is to stop exercising. That’s not happening, as I’m prone to addictions, and I’ve apparently become addicted to my yoga routine. I mean, I get up early when I go to a yoga class so I could practise my morning yoga before that. I have no clue how that happened, as I’ve always been strongly anti-exercise.

Another obvious solution is to seek out medical advice. I’ve been gathering courage, or rather the mental immunity, to do this for a while but so far I haven’t ventured. Now that I’m blogging about it, I’m more likely to pay my GP a visit though—if only so that I could report that it went as I suspected and that no advice was provided.

This sounds depressing, and I’m not sure what about it I hated the least today. Oh wait, I know now, I’ll need to see my GP promptly and report back with a triumphant “I told you so”. I like “I told you so”, it’s part of my culture and upbringing. There’s no better malignant pleasure than in “I told you so”, even when you tell it to yourself.

1. If you spend a lot of time at a desk, then check out your chair for ergonomics and take frequent breaks, like get up and move every twenty minutes.. Sitting bad can stuff your back which oddly enough may not hurt, but it can make your legs hurt.. Displaced back pain. Which I have often wondered, why it cant go and displace itself into someone els for a change..

Liked by 2 people

1. I’d displace pain on dead people. They’re dead anyway.

I get up a lot from the desk to stretch, and I think I sit in the textbook position – straight back, right angles. I guess I’m just getting old and rheumatic.

1. Most of my aches and pains are due to having way too much fun in my formative years. It was sort of buy now, pay later..

1. At least you know what happened. On the other hand, now you’ll be probably forever sorry for your wild years. Hope it was worth it though!

1. Oh yes. I would not change a minute 😀

2. Good! If I had the ability to be glad, I’d be glad for you 🙂

3. It is the thought that counts

2. I had knee pain after starting a yoga routine. I continued on and it did eventually resolve itself. I was told that yoga is known to obliterate scar tissue and possibly the stretching and new positions that I was asking it to do were challenging old scar tissue. ? not sure if that is what it was but it eventually corrected itself……. I also avoid Dr.’s whenever possible! (I am not recommending this for others though) 🙂 Namaste

1. Thanks a lot for tuning in with this interesting comment! There might be truth in that. I’ll see what the GP has to say about it all, like it or not, I’m paying him a visit at the nearest occasion. Namaste!

3. “I told you so” I love and loathe this phrase at the same time. Perhaps it’s the OCD in me, wanting things to be right and feeling and guessing things will turn out a certain way. Loathe it because it has pissed off others and insulted people that I liked. Oh well. I think whenever we say that phrase, it shows courage. Hope you feel better soon 🙂

1. You sum it up perfectly – I have a love and hate relationship with the “I told you so” phrase, just like you. I’m also a fellow OCD, obviously. I most enjoy saying “I told you so” to myself. It keeps a person down to the earth. To others, I don’t enjoy saying it too much, but it’s hard to help it!

1. Saying “I told you so” to yourself. I have never actually tried that. But now that you mention it, it could apply to a lot of situations where I feel OCD and if things aren’t where they are supposed to be but I could have made it all right…that phrase would come in handy 😀

1. I certainly hope that you will feel as little need to say “I told you so” to yourself as possible. After all, a certain amount of self-flagellation might be healthy, but let’s not overindulge in it!

4. Its all a matter of perception you know….but if its hurting then that is an issue, maybe some one on one instruction after all we are all made a bit different. I used one of your photos today:
    Thanks as always…. 🙂

1. Thank you for thinking of my photo high enough to use it for your bus story, you describe the feelings of a bus traveller quite faithful to life! I’ll see yet how my yoga and knee pain journeys evolve, but at least, I’m seeing a GP soon, which writing this post has helped me to resolve to do. So all good, more or less 🙂

1. Good that you are being proactive in seeking some advice instead of suffering loudly to all us bemused readers…. 🙂

1. Haha, yes, I complain but I also take action 🙂

1. That’s why we all love and respect you so much…. 🙂

5. I’ve always been a believer in “if it hurts; don’t do it”. Then again, having read the above comments … I don’t know anything about Yoga. When it comes to health care and traditional medicine; I’m not against that totally, like many people seem to be these days. That said, I’m not against the other stuff either … not entirely.

Do you sense that this is muscular, or could it be the joints?

On a side note, and jokingly: Have you seen those funny quotes for tombstones online? I saw one for hypochondriacs, and it read “I told you I was sick!”

I know all about addictions to strange things … I’m addicted to my Morning Pages now 🙂

1. I’m contemplating my funeral these days – if this pain lasts, I don’t think I can last much longer – and I’m all for “I told you so” on the tombstone. I’ve seen this kind of inscriptions before and I love them! As far as one can love a grave.

There are too many possible causes for my knee issues, I think I’ll leave the diagnosis to the doctor. Hopefully he’ll be more helpful than usual.

Funnily enough, I usually feel better, not worse, after exercise. Could be endorfine though. Again, hard to say what the cause of the problem is!

On a much happier note, I’m glad that you also have weird addictions, and that your addiction is one that doesn’t afflict your health. Good choice 🙂

1. Yeah, it’s good … they don’t hurt. The only form of physical exercise I could ever consider, would be swimming. There, at least, I wouldn’t break out a sweat (I think?).

1. That’s a good reason for swimming – that you don’t break sweat 🙂 I’d consider swimming too but no one caters for people who like to swim practically in hot water. I can’t stand the cool water in the pool.

1. Right … that would present itself as a problem. They’re most of the time the same temperature.

6. Waiting with bated breath for the next exciting episode of “i told you so’

1. I’ll keep you posted! Hope it will be more fun and less pain 🙂

2. Thank you! On an unrelated note, I wonder how come your comment ended up in spam – the second time this happened recently. It’s a perfectly legit comment! Sorry about that.

1. Happens to some of the comments I receive too. Seems to be no pattern to it. I just make sure I regularly check and restore the legit ones.

1. Yes, it seems to be completely random. It taught me to check the spam folder regularly!

7. The Smiling Pilgrim 14/07/2016 at 9:31 pm

I am no expert in posture or physio but I hope you feel better and better 🙂

1. Thank you a lot for your well wishes! I’m no expert either, so I’m curious what the expert will have to say about this.

8. I suffer much of the same. I did quite a bit of damage in my youth (I am very decrepit now). So it goes. Hope you seek that medical advice. I hang upside down from trees to help my back, which, strangely, does help a bit. I do not know if you are in the habit of dangling from trees but you might give it a try…hmm…or not. I have never suggested that people dangle from trees before…It does scare children walking by, though, which is an added bonus. Cheers.

1. How do you hang upside down from trees? You tie your feet to a branch? I have trouble visualising it. Thank you for mentioning the back. That’s one of the few bodily parts that doesn’t give me any pain these days, and it’s good to be reminded that there are still things that don’t hurt though they could, so it could have been worse. Thank you for the lovely visual of you hanging from a tree like a bat(woman) and scaring kids. Precious.

1. Haha well I am glad to remind you of one body part still in tact 🙂

I dangle from either my ankles or I will bend my knees. There is a tree right by the sidewalk pavement, perfect for dangling- and children do not see me until they are almost upon me. It is marvelous. 😉

Bat woman is rather accurate- and at dusk, they fill the skies above the tree, so it must create quite a scene.

1. Ok, no matter how much yoga I do, I don’t think I’ll be attempting to imitate you. Though the people scaring effect sounds rewarding.

1. It always is. 😉