I’m enjoying taking part in the Writing 101: Poetry challenge, and I came to miss my daily prompt today, since there are apparently no classes at the weekend. I also miss an edge to the prompts offered, so I came up with my own subversive prompt.

The inspiration came to me when, perched at my balcony on the top floor in a block of flats, I observed successively a number of intoxicated individuals having a hard time trying to get home from their weekend drinking sessions.

I wrote the poem sober but formatted it drunk.

A drunk man

So gay

Sways like a poplar tree

Schemes to take over the world

Skids on the icy road

Falls and fails

To rise

Feeling not the cold

He falls

Asleep

And dies

Adead

1. And dies adead… Brilliant!

1. Thank you for thinking so high of my wordplay 🙂

2. I’m not a bad person for laughing, right?

1. I don’t think so, but I’m not the author 🙂 There is humour in everything if you know where to look !

1. Plus “gallows humour” is a very instinctive thing.

1. Gallows humour is the only kind I do 😀

2. I’ll second that! I find most humour in the least humorous situations.

1. Perhaps we have warped senses of humour 🙂

1. I certainly do! *warped laughter*

2. I’m not a bad person for taking so much pleasure in killing my characters, right 😉 ? You’re of course not a bad person, it was the idea to write a funny piece. After all, it’s so silly that it can’t be thought of as real!

3. From humor to suspense in such few words. Well done.

1. Thank you for your lovely comment. I appreciate that you took the time to read my little fun with words 🙂

4. Drunk formatting?! I’ll have to remember that – very effective 🙂

1. Haha, I’m glad that my drunkenness is inspiring 😉 I was having a lot of fun with this one.

1. Looked like it. I could see the teeter tottering in the formatting, lol.

1. Now I want to write a mock poem about a tottering teeter.

1. Look forward to that one 🙂

1. Thank you, Brett! I had a lot of fun with this 🙂

5. I can’t help thinking … Edward Lear 🙂

1. Yes, Edward Lear! And also Hugh MacDiarmid’s A Drunk Man Looks at the Thistle.

6. It’s so cool – love how you combine the swaying of him with the words being apart 😀 His death comes across less dramatic than the falling guy one – rather amusing here on this one 😉 Well done!

1. Yes, that was the idea, to come across as funny rather than tragic 😉 After all, my drunkard is a fictional character…

1. …and it definitely is easier to see comical stuff behind fictional characters of course… Well done 🙂

7. Brilliant, no doubt this will spring into mind next time I see a drunkard stumbling his way home!

1. Thanks for stopping by! I’m glad I somehow managed to a provide a fresh perspective on drunkards 😉

8. Haha I loved this one. Brilliant

1. Thank you 🙂 It was a wild (drunk) poetry experiment…