Do you miss the Writing 201: Poetry course by the Daily Post? Then join this blogging challenge, Poetry 101 Rehab, that will provide your poetry fix!

How It Works

Each Monday at 01:00 pm UTC I will publish a poetry prompt along with my response to it. You are invited to answer the prompt, twist it or ignore it; write a poem of your own or share a poem by another author.

I would love to hear about your inspiration, your creative process or other poetry related thoughts, but this is no way obligatory. Nothing is obligatory in this challenge, the idea is to get together, talk poetry and have fun!

How You Can Join

Anyone can participate, anytime you want. Publish your poetry post and add a link to it to the InLinkz link-up below my post, or share your link in a comment. Use the tag Poetry 101 Rehab, so we can find each other in the Reader.

I will act as your hostess, and I’ll be here for you to reply your comments, read your verses, like and comment. While my blog is the starting point for the challenge, do visit fellow poets in the link-up and chat to them on their blogs!

badge-rectangle

The Prompt: Away

A way

A way out

Away

A day

A day out

A date

A tale

A tale told

The day

On the way

This week’s prompt is AWAY. My interpretation of this challenge is characteristically fragmentary and ambiguous. Yours could be anything you want it to be. What will your take on the keyword AWAY be? Blog about it in a poetry post and share your link below!

1. Thanks for sharing!

1. i like word combinations, Mara. Running through the possibles. Fun poem, yours. Makes me want to smile.

My poem, “Changes” ( http://wp.me/p5BCD4-7N ), was written at a cross-roads time of my life (one of many), when going away/removing myself totally from my accustomed comfort zone, became my preferred decision. One doesn’t want to hurt people, but . . . often people are not happy to be told that one can walk away from them and not look back. Until many years later, anyway. Retrospection may be cheating, but it somes makes the difference re: survival.

There are many more cheerful ideas for this prompt. I hope to write a new poem, also, but I saw “Away” and knew I had to hunt through my archives for this one. I hope you lie it.

1. Why don’t these things come with an edit option? ::sigh::

2. Thank you for your thoughtful comment – one cannot but agree with the sentiments… And thank you for sharing another of your pieces! No need to write new poems when the inspiration doesn’t strike, it’s great to revisit older pieces as well! Your poem appeals to me a lot as I think I happen to share some of your experience…

1. I’m not sure if I’m the right person to ask for a flight, perhaps try an airline 😉 ? Sorry, that was a joke of course. I love your poem.

1. Thank you. There are more ways to fly than those limited to airlines.

1. It’s a lovely poem, so cute but not too sugary, really a great piece! Thank you so much for a great read 🙂

1. Eep, thank you so much! 🙂 ✪

2. Lovely Mara. Such a lot said in so few words…

1. Thank you very much for you kind words. It means a lot.

3. I could not resist posting this poem from ten years ago as my contribution to Poetry Rehab 101- Away. It seems to fit so well with your prompt this week. https://oudeis2005.wordpress.com/2015/06/09/poetry-rehab-101-away/

1. It fits just perfect. I love your creative translation, it’s a challenge to read – in a good way! 🙂

4. Hi, this is the first time I’ve joined in here… As soon as I read the prompt, it took me on a Lewis Carroll-style flight of daydream fancy, and I wrote this straight away. Hope you like it!

1. Wow, it’s great when inspiration strikes and one sits down to write with easy! I’m happy that you joined this challenge, it’s a pleasure to read your poem. It flows so easily and holds the reader’s interest throughout. Great job!

1. Thank you, Mara, I’m happy I’ve joined too! I just hope that inspiration strikes as smoothly next week 🙂

1. I hope that it will! Here’s to inspiration 🙂

5. As always thanks for the wonderful prompt. Mine tangles fact and fiction – a teaspoon of fact to a bottle of fiction.

Once again I write to sooth my nerves, and in doing so unconsciously reverted to a bit of my old habits. Here’s how it turned out:

1. It’s great that you find outlet of stress in creative writing. I hope you’ll soon be settled and with a new job, but still writing great poems like this one!

1. Thank you! I intend to write until all possible writing supplies are pried away from me 🙂

1. Whew! How much better can it get? An excellent poem! I love your haikus 🙂

6. Love this week’s post, and the prompt, gives me a good chance to be all depressing, here’s my humble effort https://bencnicholson.wordpress.com/2015/06/09/poetry-rehab-101-away/

1. Strangely enough, I love it when your writing is depressive. The photo that goes with your poem is a stunner, and the poem itself just nails it. Excellent!

7. Nicely done! I always enjoy your ambiguity… it never fails to make me think. Here is my own take on being “Away” in a predictably figurative sense. You know me. I spend so much time thinking out of the box, I have forgot where the box is. 🙂 Hope you like it! Mother Hen

1. Thinking out of the box and not finding the way back to the box is precisely what I love. I believe that’s the best way to approach creative writing 🙂 I don’t like your poem, I love it!

1. Thank you, Mara my guru! I am so enjoying this poetic trip down the rabbit hole. Where, I wonder, will it lead?

1. Mm, perhaps next Monday the prompt should be RABBITS? 😉 Or chickens?

1. Eggcellent suggestion!

8. Haven’t had the time to read any of the other poems yet but I can’t wait for it… 🙂

Anyways…. I have written this poem “Away”. I would like to ask if the shift in the tense is working like I hope it is.

And I also wrote a drabble.
    Mara’s prompt inspired both but the topics are entirely different 🙂

1. Nice to see you and with not one but two poems 🙂 ! I particularly like your “Away” piece, I think the shifts of tenses works great to make the poem even more interesting.

I had to google “drabble” and when I read yours, I was moved a lot. A painful piece precisely to the point. Thank you for sharing!

1. Thank you Mara 🙂

9. ambiguity is good it gives leverage for opportunity. BTW I extended my Port Merion pottery, found the whole set at an antiques market yesterday when I was AWAY, how exciting, you know how i love old things lol x

1. The best thing about old things is that each has a story to find out about 🙂

1. oh i agree totally i always spend a moment thinking about where it had been or who had it etc x

2. Ooohh, more lovely mugs! Will they make their appearance on Instagram perhaps? ❤

1. I saw and loved!! ❤

10. Liked the way you interpretated the prompt. Actually I went too far by translating it as a person who is musing about life and how the time goes… alright that sounds so… strange.

Anyway, this is mine: https://dearcaramelmacchiato.wordpress.com/2015/06/10/the-sun-itself/

1. That’s not strange 🙂 I love it.

2. I love to see different interpretations of one piece, it’s great that each reader finds her own way of seeing a piece of poetry! Your poem is superb. I would never ever be capable of writing from the perspective of a child – and you not only do that, but do that perfectly.

1. Oh what a heart-melting piece… It’s a great interpretation of the prompt. Thank you for sharing it!

1. Thanks Mara ..for the prompt..

11. Just before the “Away” goes away, Here goes mine!

1. Just in time and just to the point! A heartbreaking poem…

1. 🙂 Thank you.. a many.. and many.. 🙂

12. Just found out about the “Away” prompt today. Hope it’s not too late to enter. https://odaciuk.wordpress.com/2015/06/14/poetry-101rehab-away/

1. Yours is a simple yet effective poem, I have a soft spot for haikus and other short forms, so I’m a fan!

1. Thanks for you kind words, Mara. I’ve recently developed an affinity for the haiku-form of poetic expression.

1. Oh, so there might be more to come? Excellent!

13. A bit late this week and I’d also forgotten to comment on here, but here’s my interpretation of the prompt. Being away myself from all that I know, the word hit home quite strongly, but the short poem it inspired ended up being much more optimistic than I would have expected. Hope you like it!

1. Oh it’s never late to join the poetry collective, and your poem is actually very uplifting! It speaks of hope and strength. I love it 🙂

14. Nitin Chandran Nair 15/06/2015 at 5:18 pm

Sorry I couldn’t be on time for this prompt and so did not get the chance to add through inlinkz..

Here’s my entry just for you to read. I hope you like it. 🙂

Sorry once again for this late response!

1. Oh it’s never too late to share your poem, I’m happy to read it anytime 🙂 I like it how the poem incorporates “I know it’s late”… Great move!

1. Why childish? It doesn’t sound childish to me in the least! I like the rhymes, I think I have a weak spot for rhymed poetry… So your little piece works for me just perfect!

15. ShidaTahirah 25/07/2015 at 4:36 am

I’ve finally caught up to the posts I missed when I wasnon study leave 🙂 here’s my poem for away: https://876lover.wordpress.com/2015/07/24/running-through-my-mind/

1. Your poems are getting better and better, I love this one maybe the most of your work so far! Thank you for sharing it 🙂