Do you miss the Writing 201: Poetry course by the Daily Post? Then join this blogging challenge, Poetry 101 Rehab, that will provide your poetry fix!

How It Works

Each Monday at 01:00 pm UTC I will publish a poetry prompt along with my response to it. You are invited to answer the prompt, twist it or ignore it; write a poem of your own or share a poem by another author.

I would love to hear about your inspiration, your creative process or other poetry related thoughts, but this is no way obligatory. Nothing is obligatory in this challenge, the idea is to get together, talk poetry and have fun!

How You Can Join

Anyone can participate, anytime you want. Publish your poetry post and add a link to it to the InLinkz link-up below my post, or share your link in a comment. Use the tag Poetry 101 Rehab, so we can find each other in the Reader.

I will act as your hostess, and I’ll be here for you to reply your comments, read your verses, like and comment. While my blog is the starting point for the challenge, do visit fellow poets in the link-up and chat to them on their blogs!

badge-rectangle

The Prompt: Sugar

Sugar sweet

memories of

Sugar coated

bliss just

Sugar sticky

ballast

Blocking you from

The crude truth of

you

This week’s prompt is SUGAR. I chose to interpret the theme in a figurative manner, but you can just as easily write about sugar literally – maybe your taste for sugar candy? Or your preference for sweetened coffee? The choice of approach is up to you! What will your take on the keyword SUGAR be? Blog about it in a poetry post and share your link below!

1. Nitin Chandran Nair 27/04/2015 at 2:16 pm

Nice! Got to think on this one! Was waiting for your post 🙂

1. Awe, thanks for your lovely comment, it’s great to see that you’re enjoying the rehab 🙂

2. I don’t like sugar at all! I just can’t get why people add it to beverages that are naturally sweet, like milk (Wow, I’m so negative that even such an agreeable keyword arouses hate in me!).

1. Haha, thank you for your angry comment! I love you hating on sugar 😀 I love sweets but I hate sweetened drinks – all sweetened drinks, including coffee. And sugar in milk? Are you joking?! Eek!

3. Sharp as ever, love it Mara!

Here’s my (similar) spoonful

1. Whew! That was fast 😉 Thank you so much for getting my point and elaborating on it in a your very own way!

1. And thank your, for appreciating my sprinkled thoughts and for another excellent prompt…

1. Oh, this more than qualifies! It’s a sweet love poem, thank you for sharing it!

1. Nitin Chandran Nair 27/04/2015 at 6:30 pm

Thank you 🙂 Took me some time to jot down this one 😀

1. And the time and effort taken were totally worth it!

1. Nitin Chandran Nair 27/04/2015 at 6:49 pm

Thank you once again. Any other such events where I can try my hands? 😛
            This makes me wait a week to write another poem.. 😀

2. You’re most welcome! If you’re looking for other poetry events, try the list of events here: https://dailypost.wordpress.com/blog-events-listing/

1. Wow! Thank you so much for joining it and for sharing your original and great poem! I do like your interpretation of the keyword a lot 🙂

1. Thanks Mara I really enjoyed participating. looking forward to the next challenge.

1. The pleasure is mine!

2. I can’t open your link @Susanna 😦 And I don’t even understand why. My browser keeps saying it can’t find your page.

1. I took the liberty of fixing the link, now it should work!

1. No problem, it happens 😉

4. That is a nice and sweet piece. 🙂

1. Thanks! Hopefully not too sweet 😉

5. Nice poem, but tough topic.

1. But you’ll make it!

1. See, I told you, you did it 😀

6. Hi! Sorry about not posting last week, was a bit of a manic time in my life! Here’s my rather asinine response to this week’s challenge, not sure if I like it myself yet, but hopefully it will grow on me 😛 https://bencnicholson.wordpress.com/2015/04/28/poetry-101-rehab-sugar/

1. No pressure to write a poem each week, just join whenever you have the time and the inclination to 😉 It’s always a pleasure to have your poem, though, and your most recent contribution only cemented your strong, individual and very impressive style. I do hope the poem will grow on you, it’s so unpretentious and honest…

7. I decided not to read your poem before writing my own in case something similar to last week’s appreciation of the prompt happened once again. And I’m quite glad I didn’t now, haha. Funny how we both thought of sugar as a means to cover something else! Anyway, I once more love your poem and its structure (still haven’t found out how to do that on here so I’m heading for the more traditional way), so thanks for sharing!
    Here’s my attempt, surely inspired by both the recipes I’ve been planning on making for the last week (which are still to be carried out) and the ideas on religion curling my every thought. https://trimmedwords.wordpress.com/2015/04/28/sugar/ Oh, and the title is only provisional. Cheers! 🙂

1. I’m quite flattered and pleased that you thought of the same interpretation of the keyword as I did – of course I incline to dark poetry and so tend to both writing and reading sceptical pieces. Your take on the topic, together with the twist on the idea of religion, is a great one, just to my taste… Thank you for your offering!

1. Ha, well it so happens that I read and write dark poetry too, most of the time. Favourite ones must be the dark/hopeful ones, though–they never fail to ring true for their almost analogical link to life (:

1. Ha! A fellow negativist… Good! Can’t wait for your future poems 🙂

1. That’s an adorable and lovely piece of a poem! So rhythmic and musical! Thanks a lot for bringing the fun 😀

1. It was so much sweet and fun to write!
        Thank you.. 🙂 many…

1. You’re welcome 🙂

8. I love this one – and am pretty sure I dated that guy in my distant past… haha! Here is my entry for the week – because I believe every woman is sweet at heart… or at least she was at one time! 🙂 xx Mother Hen

1. So I hear, that each woman is a closeted romantic, even me! :-O You capture this idea perfectly in your poem, it’s another excellent and original take on the topic!

9. I don’t know why “sugar” led me immediately to an eternal hourglass (and then to Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time and Jake Gyllenhaal), but here is my poem: http://wp.me/p5BCD4-6P

It was unexpected.

1. This is a well contrived poem, thanks for providing some little background to it as well! I love your associations, it works very well 🙂 Thank you for writing and sharing!

1. The associations are the most fun! (I’ve got a strange trail for “Right” also, but have not written out the poem, yet.

1. Now I can’t wait!

10. Spoonful of sugar to sweeten your day (read: Make you throw up)!

1. That’s a pretty good response! It’s neither too sweet, nor too bitter, a very smart solution of the difficult challenge 🙂

11. Another great thought-provoking piece by you Mara. Awesome!
    M not sure how I ended up writing this out of sugar! 😀

1. I love the array of tastes that you capture so well in your poem! Sugar and spice go well together, and your poem has a great drive and energy, just like sugar and spice 😀

1. Yay! Glad you liked it!

12. Here is my offering! https://tuckedintoacorner.wordpress.com/2015/04/30/poetry-101-rehab-sugar/

It kind of ran away from me, I wanted it to be one thing and then the pen was like NOPE, and this was the end result 🙂

1. It clearly worked to let yourself be led by your inspiration! It’s a lovely poem and quite ingenious too! Thanks a lot for joining in and sharing your piece 🙂

13. That one was a fun one to write and a challenging one to post. Coming to you from China where wordpress is blocked 🙂 http://wp.me/p3EbHY-8E.
    Enjoy

1. Thank you so much for joining in despite the blocked connection, you rock! 😉 And so does your lovely sugary poem. Makes me want to go and grab something sweet now…

1. Yes I needed a chocolate fix straight after writing it 🙂