01home (2)

Home is where the transfiguration of the commonplace happens, as Muriel Spark puts it. Scotland is sometimes called a state of mind: to me, home is Scotland, even if not physically.

1. And a lovely home it is. Looks like we are photography 101 buddies 🙂

1. Yay! Great that you’re in for photo 101 too! Looking forward to seeing your responses to the prompts! Your own response to the first challenge is excellent as usual, your photos are always so carefully crafted and beautiful… You’re making me slightly envious!

1. Gee Thanks Mara it’s a bit hit and miss. It may take a lot of shots to get one I like. I still have lots to learn so the 101 critique is really important. Look forward also to seeing your interpretation to the tasks which always surprises me 😆

1. Hm, I would have thought that you’re a semi-professional photographer most of whose shots are good! Whereas with a beginner like me, most of my shots are very poor. It’s quite surprising to hear how critical of your work you are — nonetheless, let’s hope we’ll last through the course and learn some tips!

1. No way am I anywhere near professional even so I think we all benefit from input from a different eye and yes we are our worst critics. Thanks for your lovely words Mara 🙂 don’t be so hard on yourself also! lol

2. SmldPhotography 03/11/2014 at 12:16 pm

I just love this post Mara! I have been missing Edinburgh a great deal lately and it was so nice to open up WordPress and see one of my fave a spots!!! Great post!! 🙂

1. It’s great that a bit of Embra was right to your taste 😉 It’s a city that’s hard to get our of your heart, right? Of course Calton Hill might easily be the best spot in the city. And this shot is iconic (not this particular picture but the particular angle, you see what I mean) — you get it all the time when you google pictures of Edinburgh, so of course I had to try my hand at it too… It’s now my computer wallpaper 🙂 Greetings to Canada!

3. Geographically Scotland will always be home to me and I miss it terribly but the cliche “home is where the heart is” also contains truth as home is now America because that’s where my husband and kids are.

1. Sure, there is always some truth about cliches. However cliche it sounds! It’s good that you’re worked it out though. I’m still somehow split between what my actual home is and where my affection and alliances lie… Hopefully this is a creative ambivalence, if that makes any sense.

4. awe i know how much you love Scotland and wow what funky nails you have right?

1. It’s sweet that you noticed the Scottish flag my nails! I had them specially done for the occasion of my trip to Edinburgh and the people there loved it — I got compliments by cashiers and such 🙂

1. hah they are great, your such a girlie girl which is lovely x

1. Hahaha, I’m not sure if I’m anything girly at my age, but I do try to look presentable — considering that I work with your people, who are awful judges of looks!

1. gasps at such a sweeping statement!

2. Which sweeping statement? All of it? Sorry…

3. now I can’t remember, yesterday is forgotten lol

4. That’s actually good that you forgot, I was worried I said something forever silly.

5. Lovely shots, Mara! As they (don’t) say, home is where the camera is.

1. Haha, that’s actually excellent, “Home is where the camera is”, I love your thinking! Very appropriate for the challenge. Are you perhaps taking part too?

1. And right now I see your first response to the challenge in my Reader, great to have you as a classmate 😉

1. Thank you, same here too 🙂 I’m just an amateur ‘phoenographer’, so well my pics turn out to be usually bad 😛

2. We’re all learning, right, so no problem if the pictures aren’t that great at first! The main thing is to have fun, which is what I’m having and hopefully you do too!

3. Same to you 🙂

6. I can see why you love Scotland. It looks wonderful there.

1. Yep, Scotland definitely is a wonderful place and worth a (long!) visit. Thanks for stopping by!